Ed Lyman, UCS Senior Scientist, took part in a small meeting with the NRC Commissioners on September 14 to provide comments on the “short-term actions” recommended by the NRC Task Force that was set up following the Fukushima nuclear accident. A panel of experts provided comments on the Task Force recommendations:
- William Leith, Earthquake Hazards Program Coordinator, U.S. Geological Survey
- Charles Pardee, Chairman, Industry Fukushima Response Steering Committee and Chief Operating Officer, Exelon Generation
- Thomas Cochran, Natural Resources Defense Council
- Ed Lyman, Union of Concerned Scientists
- Sue Perkins-Grew, Director, Emergency Preparedness, Nuclear Energy Institute
- Patrick Mulligan, State of New Jersey and Federal Radiological Preparedness Coordinating Committee
Following comments by the panelists, the NRC staff made a presentation to the Commissioners on these short term actions.
Support from UCS members make work like this possible. Will you join us? Help UCS advance independent science for a healthy environment and a safer world.